Anchovies are a favorite of Roero and can be found in a variety of dishes.
One particularly traditional recipes, however, is the Anchovies with a green sauce… a recipe that combines the fresh ingredients of the garden such as basil and parsley, locally pressed olive oils, and, of course, anchovies.
- 20 salt-packed anchovies
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1/2 bunch basil
- 1 hard-boiled egg yolks
- 1 chili pepper
- olive oil
- 1-2 tsp vinegar
- Rinse the salt from the anchovies, slice them lengthwise and remove the bones.
- Boil the yolks of the eggs.
- Blend chopped parsley, basil, galic, and chili in a bowl with the mashed, cooked yolks. Stir in oil and vinegar.
- Arrange anchovies on a small platter and cover with the sauce. Top another layer of anchovies and more sauce. Continue layer, ending with a thick layer of sauce.
- Set aside for 4-6 hours before serving. Serve with crusty bread and Roero.